Thursday, January 14, 2010

I know I'm unclutterable, you don't have to tell me. I have too much in my life, take it, it's yours.

This year I think I need to FINALLY get my shit together and unclutter my life. I have so much stuff, and I mean yeah most of it is totally cool stuff, but I live in a very small room in a teeny bungalow and I really would love a little more room to stretch out. I think the problems with this I have had in the past have all involved me believing all my cool junk has value, or some sort of purpose other than just being junk. The other reason I keep things is purely sentimental.

For example I have this really gross smelling raspberry body splash and bath set my grandmother gave me that I will never use. It was in a "get rid of" pile for about 4 months and before I could get rid of the pile she passed away causing any item ever given to me by her no matter how gross smelling to somehow become priceless and cherished. (I also have a bag of random socks she gave me that I can no longer wear for fear of destroying them because my grandma will never buy me socks again, and that is the saddest idea ever)

I completely realize that I am a crazy, sentimental fool, but I honestly don't know how else to be. I am going to figure it out though, I have to, this shit is getting ridiculous. I also realize that because I am in a considerable amount of debt, the chances of me buying more stuff to compensate for the discarded junk is very unlikely. This is the best possible time for me to clean house. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was like this for a long time, too! I feel your pain. I'm just now getting to a point where I don't have lots of unused stuff in my life. One thing that really, really worked for me was taking photos of things. I did this with a bunch of ill-fitting t-shirts from shows that I'd loved. Now I have a file on my computer of photos of things that bring me joy, but I don't trip over those things when I'm walking around my house. The other thing I did was start living by what my friend's mom called "The Cowgirl Rule". Cowgirls wore their best dresses to ride bulls even though they'd get dirty and torn up. They wore those dresses because they liked them and their lives just happened to involve riding bulls. So now I try to use things instead of saving them. It took a while. You'll get there if you're working at it.

prettymess said...

thanks Jo! I remember your blog about tee shirts! It was quite entertaining and inspiring. I keep making piles of shirts to turn into quilts but that really hasn't been something I have focused on actually finishing. Maybe I will make it a bigger priority. I really like your cowgirl rule, thank you for the idea! Your friends mom is smart!

crystal! said...

i am the same way about sentimental stuff! it's a sickness but i really do care about the attachments so it matters to me. the people who tend to not care are people with bad memories who forgot there were attachments.