Friday, February 19, 2010

Green thumb!

Red Lettuce Day 5

I started some vegetable seeds in my windowsill and watching them grow is so exciting! I had a garden as a child one summer with my grandparents but I have never grown anything on my own, well maybe a chia pet. Also this one time I put an old potato in some dirt and watered it and it actually grew into a big plant. I never actually harvested it or checked to see if it had grown me any new potatoes, but it was fun to water it and watch it grow.

I have come to the conclusion that I am MUCH too poor to NOT grow my own food, it just seems like it will be well worth the effort, which is minimal, to have fresh veggies around to eat all the time! The lettuce (pictured) is the only one that has actually sprouted so far. I also planted basil and Roma tomatoes! I plan to keep the basil as a house plant possibly and transplant the lettuce and tomatoes outside when they are ready.

I still have to plan out where I am going to put my garden and figure out if I want to build a raised garden or just try to work with the soil thats already there. I don't think my compost will be ready soon enough to plant in it. Bummer! I am also toying with the idea of building a DIY green house to keep the dog and other weird pests out of there. Anyway this is all new and exciting and if anyone has any tips I would be glad to take them. I am nervous about screwing this up! I'm sure I will feel a little better once my other seeds sprout, it is only day 5 after all. Wish me luck!

Red Lettuce Day 4

1 comment:

crystal! said...

potatoes grow in the ground, hence how they're covered in dirt when you get them. not on trees!