Saturday, January 31, 2009

emphasize the positive!

So a lot of really great things have been happening lately, I have failed to mention most of them because, I'm not sure, maybe wallowing in self pity just seemed more fun? I've neglected my responsibility to get you totally pumped on the awesome things in my life, and for this, I apologize!

Last night was super fun, I booked a show at Gilman but also wanted to see a show at the local dive bar. The only problem is the shows were an hour apart driving. Boy do I hate driving, but I made it work. I went to gilman, enjoyed sets by Boats, Secretions and Kepi The Band! (Kepi played drums the whole set while standing up, is there anything that man can't do?) I also ate FREE VEGAN CAKE which was awesome and bought a wonderfully delicious vegan donut. Oh the Joys and splendors of food, it always puts me in a better mood!

In my intense "sugar rush" state I jumped and danced a lot and flicked a bunch of light switches to create a spectaacular "light show" for Kepi and hugged a million people and then ran off to drive to the Off with their heads show. That driving part sucked but you can't win em all!


When I got there my friends the Hard girls had already left the stage, I was a little bummed but I just saw them a few weeks ago so I'll be okay. I said Hi to a few people and propped myself on a bar stool by the stage area to watch the Re-Volts! They were awesome, Spike is so handsome and sounded great. Their drummer made weird mupped noises before every song and they were incredibly fun to watch. The audience kind of sucked for them, maybe they just weren't drunk enough to act a fool with me.

After their set I went up and said Hi to Ryan from OWTH, got a big hug, and then slowly realized I knew AT LEAST 20 people in this tiny bar, it was like a weird high school reunion without the people I actually went to school with part. I guess I get around. I got a few "holy shit I haven't seen you in forever"s and tons of hugs. It was a really great feeling.

Off with their heads was amazing, this drunk guy kept trying to mess with me by standing in front of me and then I would move and he would do it again, I'm pretty sure he was flirting with me but if he really liked me he should have bought me a Shirley temple or something. Instead all he got was a few fierce fist shakings. I also got accused of trying to steal Zack's guitar, I mean I totally was but you'd think they'd trust me by now.

I played some photo hunt game with Ryan and Lisa, they were WAY better at it than me. I guess I need to go to bars more to practice. When I said goodbye for the night I got more hugs and Ryan squeezed my glasses against my face (on purpose) so I peeled them off my face and dropped them (on purpose) and groped my way around until he picked them up for me. Before he handed them back to me he put my hand on his face (think Helen Keller) and said "its me, Ryan" which was probably the funniest thing that happened all night.

I'm off to Berkeley now for night two of punk rock Joels birthday show madness! More OWTH, more Thorns of life! I saw them at a house show wednesday, great tunes, totally amazing people. I talked to Blake and Daniela for a while and they were both so nice! Okay I really have to go now!

No comments: