Monday, December 29, 2008

too many tee shirts!

I have always had an obsessive personality, I guess its a good thing that I learned at an early age to stay away from drugs and alcohol! Anyway my friends always make jokes about how I cannot just like something, I have to love it. A lot of the time they are right, when I find things I love I really go all out.

Music has always been a huge part of my life, sometimes I find something in the music that I just can't let go of. In this case I found a community, a ton of life long friends and a lot of free tee shirts. I had over 30 tee shirts for this band, it was out of control, and I didn't even wear them anymore! Since I have too much sentiment and memories attached to things like this, even though I rarely listen to their albums anymore, I had to find a better use for 30 tee shirts than clogging up my dresser! Thus the tee shirt quilt was born.


This part I did a while ago, I cut up all my tee shirts and sewed them together, I was told to use interfacing but I am reckless and I didn't have any so I just got all gung ho about it and went to work. This part was finished months and months before I even got the batting or backing for the quilt. I rule, and am terrible at finishing things. (new years resolution foreshadowing)



My Aunt worked at a fabric store for a very long time, she also "took home" a lot of stuff from work she probably wasn't supposed to. Her room is now a giant fleece museum and almost as equiped for my needs as the fabric store, except slightly less organized. Basically she had the batting I needed and piece of fleece almost big enough for the backing. SCORE! Also I'm in some debt and its nice to be able to reap the benefits of my crazy aunts need for space. So I said almost big enough, I didn't realize until I put it all together that it was too small, luckily I had a remnant from a long time ago that matched so it's a little ghetto but it works. It's not completely finished because it still needs to be tied in a few places but I need a special needle for that. Oh and I need to tack down some of the fleece in places and sew a few corners that didn't quite connect. But its more done than it has ever been and I'm proud of it. It is really heavy and awesome to sleep under too!

I have a few more bands I think I need to do this for too, my tee shirt collection is quite extensive and I look forward to whittling it down into more useful creations!
Yay for finally finishing something I started!

No comments: